Carter and his obsessions. He has had many. Now that he is older, he is finally following through with his grand ideas. His latest: Uncle Maddio's Pizza. It just opened across the way from us. For some unknown reason Carter became obsessed with it while we waited for it to open. He was on their Facebook page almost daily the last month or so trying to find out when exactly they were opening. Why, do you ask? Because he he got the idea in his head that he needed to be the first customer. Then he started talking about it obsessively to his friends and got some takers. By May they had decided that they were going to camp out the night before to make sure they would be the first in line. They also agreed that Carter would be the first in line because he was the ring leader. We tried to explain to Carter that this wasn't something you camped out for. The week of the grand opening none of the boy's parents were willing to camp out with them somewhere where we were pretty sure they wouldn't actually be allowed. Allen and I compromised and said they could "camp out" at our place and walk over the next morning. And so they did. They headed over at 9am for a 11am opening. As it turns out the pizza place was giving away free pizza's from 11-2, so there was a line and sure enough the boys were first, with Carter at the front, proud as can be. The pizza place loved them and their enthusiasm and posted pictures of them on their Facebook page. Here are some pictures from the fun day:
 |
| heading off in the morning |
 |
| they were there about an hour before the next people showed up |
 |
| first in line! |
 |
enjoying their free pizza
Carter has a knack of getting others caught up in his excitement. A few years ago he and a friend came up with USPU (United States Parkour University)-because Carter was currently obsessed with Parkour and soon he made a website- uspu.webs.com. (I'll let you check it out if you care-it hasn't been touched in over a year). He also designed a t-shirt. This was a long process because Carter has trouble making decisions and he had lots of input from lots of friends with all different opinions. Allen and I just sat back and let him figure it all out himself. He did it all-designed the shirt, took orders from friends, collected money and distributed the shirts (I think he ended up ordering 30 shirts). Two years later I still see kids wearing that shirt and all 8th graders use the acronym USPU (us poo) in conversation like it's as common as IKEA.
So, my question is...how does Carter translate this talent for obsessing about things (and getting others to get on board with his ideas) into a career later in life? What job is best fit for this?
|
 |
| Jared even bought one |
5 comments:
Why is it I had no idea about the USPU? I've even seen that t-shirt but had no idea what it was about.
I see Carter as the next Bill Gates. He can own his own business. Hmmmm........but I'm not sure "what" that business should be. His "followers" can be his salesmen. Carter is one creative kid--he'll figure it out.
I'm with Mom on the shirt...I thought they just got them somewhere. Way to lead, Carter.
Awesome! Not sure where he'll end up, but a summer job at Uncle M's Pizza might be a good place to start.
this is a very good use of a summer. i approve.
whoa. awesome post.
Post a Comment